Water Main Relocation/Rehabilitation and Retaining Wall 10 Near the UIC Student Recreation Facility
To accommodate future improvements to ramps from westbound and eastbound Congress Parkway / Eisenhower Expressway and the southbound Dan Ryan, a retaining wall is under construction along the west side of the Dan Ryan Expressway south of Harrison Street. Included within the work, and to allow the retaining wall to be constructed, an existing 60-inch City of Chicago combined sewer will be relocated and water main improvements will be performed on City of Chicago water facilities.
View construction progress
The primary limits of work include the area along the east side of the Student Recreation Facility from Polk Street north to Harrison Street and the area north of the building east of Halsted Street. Additional work will take place in Des Plaines Street south of Harrison Street and Vernon Park Place west of Des Plaines Street, as well as at the Cermak Pumping Station.
The proposed improvements include:
- Relocation of an existing 54-inch diameter water main below the proposed retaining wall
- Reconstruction/Rehabilitation of the three existing UIC Student Relocation Facility tennis courts due to the water main relocation
- Relocation of an existing 60-inch combined sewer behind the proposed retaining wall
- Reconstruction/rehabilitation of the existing access road along the Student Recreation Facility, including roadway lighting
- Construction of the proposed retaining wall extending over 650 feet from the existing Harrison Street bridge south to a point along an existing retaining wall just to the east of the Student Recreation Facility
- Excavation and drainage improvements along the ramp from eastbound Eisenhower to southbound Dan Ryan
- Structural rehabilitation of four different 54-inch water mains below the southbound and northbound Dan Ryan
- Abandonment of a fifth large diameter water main with work in Des Plaines Street
Traffic impacts required to construct the project include:
- Closures and modified access along the access road on the east side of the UIC Student Recreation Facility
- Construction access and sidewalk closure on the south side of Harrison Street just to the east of Halsted Street
- A closure of one lane of the two-lane ramp from the eastbound Eisenhower to southbound Dan Ryan
- Closure of Vernon Park Place west of Halsted Street during water main improvements
- Lane closures on Des Plaines Street south of Harrison Street during water main improvements
Lane closures, changes in traffic patterns, reductions in the speed limit and the presence of workers and equipment create an environment that demands drivers refrain from behavior that could create a distraction. The rules are very simple: See orange. Slow down. Save lives.