Taylor Street Bridge over I-90/94 - Bridge work complete and all lanes open December 20, 2016!
As part of the overall Jane Byrne (Circle) Interchange project, the Taylor Street Bridge over Northbound and Southbound I-90/94 was replaced. The work began in April 2015 and was completed in December 2016.
View construction progress.
The scope of work consisted of replacing the Taylor Street Bridge over the Northbound and Southbound I-90/94 Dan Ryan Expressway.
The work on Taylor Street extended from just east of Halsted Street to just west of Des Plaines Street and included improvements to the exit ramp from Southbound I-90/94 to Taylor Street, Union Avenue and the entrance ramp from Taylor Street to Northbound I-90/94. The proposed new bridge is a part of the overall Jane Byrne (Circle) Interchange reconstruction and created additional space underneath the bridge along I-90/94 necessary for the future proposed I-90/94 proposed mainline lanes and ramp connections.
Taylor Street Bridge Features:
- The proposed bridge structure consists of two lanes in each direction with sidewalks along both sides of the bridge.
- Intersection work performed at the Taylor Street intersections with SB I-90/94 exit ramp/Union Avenue and the NB I-90/94 entrance ramp.
- New, actuated traffic signals and traffic signal interconnection work was performed at these intersections as well as the Taylor Street/Des Plaines Street intersection.
- New roadway lighting was placed on the proposed bridge with light poles located on top of the bridge parapets to maintain sidewalk widths.
- Upgraded underpass bridge lighting underneath the bridge.
- Existing sidewalks have been reconstructed to current ADA standards per the City of Chicago requirements.
- The existing bridge mounted signs have been upgraded.
- A new retaining wall was constructed at the southwest corner of the bridge.
The traffic impacts required to construct the project included:
- Taylor Street traffic was maintained in one lane in each direction across the staged bridge construction. This allowed CTA bus traffic to be maintained throughout construction.
- Traffic accessing the northbound entrance to I-90/94 was detoured north on Jefferson Street and then west on Adams Street to I-90/94.
- Ruble Street between Roosevelt Road and Taylor Street was closed with traffic detoured to Jefferson Street.
- For limited periods, the Southbound I-90/94 exit ramp and Eastbound I-290 exit ramp to Taylor Street was closed, with traffic detoured to the I-90/94 exit at 18th Street, then re-entering I-90/94 and exiting to Roosevelt Road / Taylor Street.